My wife and I had a great Valentine’s Day. It was relaxing, and we made our own pasta from scratch from simple ingredients – flour, eggs, salt, etc. After the pasta was done, we made our own pasta sauce too.
What does making pasta have to do with a custom website? Well, I thought it would be a good way to explain the different types of websites and how others can use the word “custom” carelessly…it’s a buzz word and it sounds good. It makes money, so why not use it?
What does custom really mean to you? Some website providers / developers / designers will tell you it’s between picking out between these handful of choices. They’ll “custom”ize the colors and add your logo to the many other sites they’ve done that look pretty much exactly the same as yours. For some, that’s the kind of website they want – it’s a quick turn around, less decision making, very affordable, and has all or most of the features you may want.
Custom web development to Nevis Technology means something different. Yes, it can mean creating something similar, and using some helpful tools to make the administration (the way you maintain the site) and development process faster (using “widgets” that have been created before). But custom isn’t about settling. If you want your site to be able to do something, or look a certain way, or if you need fine tuned adjustments to suit your needs, we can do that. If you need to integrate into 3rd party tools like MailChimp, your CRM, or a legacy back end system used in your business, we can do that.
Whether you’re looking to start from scratch or if you have a custom site now that needs some features added, or a fresh look, Nevis Technology can deliver. Here are some case studies of previous projects.
- Harris Funeral Home -Funeral Questionnaire
- Completely custom, every single line written, from the front end questionnaire to the back end administration. Design by a 3rd party, implemented by Nevis Technology.
- Pet Passages (Phase 2)
- Previously built custom site on the Code Igniter framework. Front end template built to fit in the current affiliate requirements, features added, back end administration updated for affiliates to maintain the new features.
- Financial Symmetry – Client Center (Phase 1)
- This Dashboard interfaces with FSI’s proprietary, legacy, internal system to give their clients access and take action on their advisor recommendations, see their “score”, and the history of that score.
- Financial Risk Group
- Nevis Technology worked with FatCat Strategies. FRG didn’t want to invest in completely renovating their site, but wanted the current website to be easier to maintain. They suffered from login overload – each feature on their site required a separate login and system. We created a solution custom to what FRG wanted and they are now happy with an easy to administer website.
- Professional Window Cleaning and Powerwash Inc
- A local business and simple design, but created from the ground up to ensure an efficient and minimal, fast-loading website.
Just like you can go to a restaurant and buy a pasta dish – you’re limited to their selection and maybe “custom”izing a few things, like “can I add mushrooms?”. A little more custom, you can go to the grocery store, buy a box of pasta, and numerous brands of numerous types of sauce, creating the dish yourself. You can also build the pasta dish from scratch with some simple ingredients and have it exactly the way you want it from the ground up.
Nevis Technology specializes in fully custom solutions, we dabble in low-cost solutions to fit a client’s need (semi-custom) and eventually we’ll get into the product space to provide even lower cost, but less choice, solutions. That way we can offer the right solution for our clients no matter their budget or expectation.